Pulaski received the consent of Congress in 1778 to form a special infantry and cavalry unit capable of more independent military action that became known as the Pulaski Cavalry Legion. Later that winter, Pulaski compiled the first set of regulations for the cavalry, earning him the title “Father of the American Cavalry”. Pulaski’s Legion became the training ground for American cavalry officers including “Light Horse” Harry Lee, the father of Robert E. Lee, and the model for Lee’s legions.
Now, if he can’t turn things around before Tuesday’s Massachusetts Senate primary, he’ll be out of politics. Named for Brigadier General Kazimir Pulaski, American Revolution.
There are not enough houses, especially for women. In August 1863, the regiment was combined in Centreville, Virginia, and became a part of King’s Division in the XXII Corps. They later served in the Army of the Shenandoah under Philip H. Sheridan during the Valley Campaigns of 1864. Among the many actions that the 2nd Massachusetts Cavalry participated in were the battles of Fort Stevens, Opequon, Tom’s Brook, and Cedar Creek. https://sober-home.org/ The men were mustered out July 20, 1865, at Fairfax Court House, Virginia, before returning to California and Massachusetts in the weeks that followed. The 2nd Regiment of Cavalry, Massachusetts Volunteers was a regiment of cavalry troops in the Union army during the American Civil War. It consisted primarily of men from the states of California and Massachusetts, and served in the Eastern Theater, despite its western roots.
When did the Page family first receive the flag? Displayed in the Flag Room in the Bedford Free Public Library is an original commission dating 1737. It names Minuteman Nathaniel Page’s father John “Cornett of the Troop of horse.” A cornet was the cavalry officer just below lieutenant whose duty it was to bear the flag. It was the custom in the English militia for the colonel of the regiment or the new captain of a unit, not the cornet, to arrange for the flag.
Parson’s men pushed back the 4th Virginia, who were still mounted and completely bypassed the contingent of the 2d Virginia behind the stone wall. Parsons led his men past the Furr House but was stopped at the hill west of the house by the rest of Munford’s brigade which was arriving on the field. Finding themselves cut off, Parsons had to extricate his men and take a detour to rejoin the rest of the brigade. Leading off the advance of Gregg’s division were the four regiments of Judson Kilpatrick’s brigade; the 1st Massachusetts, 2d and 4th New York and the 6th Ohio. Kilpatrick was accompanied by Alanson Randol’s combined Batteries E and G, 1st U.S.
Fort Reno and near Fort Stevens July 11. Fort Stevens and about Northern Defenses of Washington July 11-12. Pursuit of Early to Snicker’s Gap July 14-28.
The first Cornet Page’s great-great-grandson, Cyrus Page, sent the flag to the centennial celebration at Concord on April 19, 1875, and he flew it from the old Page homestead for the 1879 Sesquicentennial of Bedford. In 1885, just before his death, he presented the flag to the Town of Bedford, into the keeping of the trustees of the Bedford Free Public Library. Cyrus desired that this “relic of by-gone days” should be “kept for the inspection of the public at all proper times.” It has remained in the care of the library to this day. Similarity to sketches of a flag made soon after 1660 for another Massachusetts cavalry, the Three County Troop, has made historians Sobriety wonder if perhaps the Bedford Flag is indeed that early flag. However, the emblem, an arm holding aloft a sword, is a common one in European heraldry during the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries and is certainly not unique to the Bedford Flag. Most tellingly, a spectroscopic analysis of the paint used on the emblem revealed a pigment called “Prussian blue” that did not exist before 1704, so the flag cannot date from before that year. American sculptor, Augustus Saint-Gaudens, memorial monument to the men of the 54th Massachusetts was commissioned by the veterans of the regiment and supporters in the 1880s and dedicated as a monument in 1897.
Second Battalion sailed from Boston for Hilton Head, S.C. on the steamer Western Metropolis March 20, 1864, arriving Sober living houses April 1. Picket and outpost duty at Hilton Head until June. Expedition to Ashepoo River May 22–26 .
Sober houses, also called recovery homes or sober living homes, provide housing for men and women in recovery from addiction. Sober houses often serve as a bridge between treatment and independent living and offer affordable rents and a supportive environment for those in recovery from substance abuse.
At Nottawny Station until April 19. Expedition to Danville April 23-29. March to Washington, D.C., May 10-16. Near Cloud’s Mills May 29-June 26, and at Fairfax Court House until July 20, Mustered out July 20, 1865. The first severe engagement of the regiment was at Dranesville, Feb. 22, 1864, where Captain Reed and about 125 of his men were surprised and defeated, the captain and nine men being killed, seven wounded, and 57 captured. When spring opened several line officers were discharged to accept commissions in the 4th and 5th Regiments of Massachusetts Cavalry.
Outpost and scouting duty north and east of Richmond occupied the regiment until the last of March. On March 31, and April 1 the 2d Cavalry was sharply engaged at Dinwiddie Court House and Five Forks, losing on the 31st Lieutenant Munger killed, and Lieutenants Papanti and Thompson wounded.
D Regiment Of Cavalry, Massachusetts Volunteers
Kazimir Pulaski was born into a noble family on March 6, 1745 in Warsaw, Poland. After opposing the Russians in Europe, he was banished to France. While in Paris, Casimir heard of the American Revolutionary War and the colonies’ struggle to break free from England. Understanding why people wanted freedom, Pulaski decided to cast his fate with the American revolutionaries. He wrote Benjamin Franklin, who was in Paris, to ask if he would consider hiring him to fight against the British. In 1777, he met with Benjamin Franklin in Paris. Landing in Marblehead, Mass., on 23 July 1777, Pulaski reported to the Continental Army’s Commander-in-Chief, General George Washington, and offered his military services to the Continental Congress.
3rd Brigade, 1st Division, Cavalry Corps, Army of Shenandoah and Army of the Potomac, to July, 1865. SERVICE.–Duty Sobriety at East Capital Hill, Defenses of Washington, D.C., until May 30, 1863, and at Camp Brightwood June 1-11.